Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Well Grounded

. . . or, how a beautiful floor comes into being. This last time in Oakland, Tim and I helped a little of that come about. Of course, I had already been on some carpet jobs, but no one seems to believe me without photographic proof, so this time, we took pictures like crazy!

First, you tear up the old carpet. This is harder than it looks . . .

. . . . . . . just ask Tim.


I couldn't pull this carpet up at all,
so I gave myself the job of rolling up the scraps to take to the dumpster.


We all hauled it out.


Please note the lovely shoes. I forgot my tennies (again!), so I had to borrow a pair of Tim's. They were a little bit large, but quite comfortable otherwise. Thanks Tim!




The ugly bare floor . . . .




Now you spread the glue (also harder than it looks)
and lay the carpet.




Of course, one of the most important jobs is holding the carpet for the glue spreader. Very crucial.





Then you trim, preferably while someone reads aloud.





And here's our other job - holding down the carpet.






Okay, now Gretchen pitches in again with something useful. I am using the tractor to help the carpet adhere in the seam. Of course, the tractor can be used for a few other things too . . .





Replace your trim, clean up any excess glue and there you have it!


A beautiful new floor! - GJ

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ya'll sure make laying carpet look like a lot of fun. Keep posting those pictures and we'll all to be carpetlayers! =) (possibly until we actually try it?!)

Lisa

Anonymous said...

NO JOKE it's hard. Anytime you want to borrow my shoes you are free to them. Very crucial indeed. It was a solid book. Holding down the carpet, without us, it might have floated up to the ceiling or out the door (remember our children’s book?). Tractor rubs: ahhhhh, so relaxing. Nice floor. Thank you so much K and G for having me spend some time with you guys.
(This paragraph does not meet the approval of FD.)

~TD

ps Did you get my last note on the double date post? I wouldn't want you to miss it.

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed having you all over to lay our carpet (different carpet than pictured). It was so much fun to talk and hang out, and I'm so glad that the carpet changed back to the right color.
;-)
Brenna

Anonymous said...

Any time TD. Thanks for your expertise and persitance in getting things done. Add Cowboy to your list of talents as you herded in the enormous bull back to the barn lot too. Not everone can do what you did. Putting in Henry's carpet was one of the weirdest things I'de see. I think we wasted 2 hrs. figuring out why that carpet turned a different color. It did not match when we first layed it next to it. So, after setting it in and removing it then bringing it back later, it worked. That still baffles me. Kyle

Anonymous said...

I am going for the miracle theory.

~TD

The Sisson Clan said...

Hooray! Another Kyle comment! Such a long one too, you cowboys are really getting good at this. - GJ

The Sisson Clan said...

Hi Brenna! I'm glad you were so willing to chat, it made for such a fun evening! Especially since your carpet didn't need much holding down, being much thicker than the one pictured here. ;-)

-GJ

Anonymous said...

Aw! Looks like so much fun! :)I love the picture of you reading, Gretchen with Kyle in the backround! You have some great shots in this post! Praying for you both... hope to see you soon!
Hugs!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad for the explanation about the shoes. Not that I question your taste in sneakers Tim, but I wondered at Gretchen's new preference for masculine shoes.

Aliza

The Sisson Clan said...

Dear GB,

Greetings!
We hope that you are still keeping up with us on our blog, in spite of our silliness! This post is especially for you! =0)

TulipGirl said...

So, what were you reading aloud?

The Sisson Clan said...

We're reading Heirs Together of the Grace of Life by the Barths. It's stimulated a lot of good thought and discussion!

Sorry to be so long in responding
:-{-GJ