Friday, July 27, 2007

I've succumbed - one decade later.

It's been ten years since Auntie Kay first introduced me to the world of Jane Austin. I've been a fan ever since! Being an avid fashion historian and seamstress, with a weakness for period garb, it's surprising that I've held out this long. But no more. I finally succumbed to the urge for my own "Pride and Prejudice Dress". Here is the result.



Yes, yes, yes, I know that an empire dress can make you look pregnant, and I know that tall women aren't supposed to wear high waisted dresses, and I know that it makes me look very tall indeed. However, I've come up with a solution.



Always stand next to someone who is taller than you are. - GJ



9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gretchen,
It looks beautiful! Although to do that last picture justice, Kyle needs a period costume also:) I've enjoyed keeping up with you all through your blog.
Love, Mrs. C

Anonymous said...

Lovely, Gretchen. You look beautiful in the dress!

Anonymous said...

Nice job, Gretchen.. It looks very nice..

Oh, did you get the pics I sent you from the girls day at Corinna's?

Jessica

Test said...

Yes, you do look short next to kyle ;-) You're so cute!

Anonymous said...

Love the dress! We saw you first at Moody during Founders Week and then this Spring at an ICHE workshop. It has been fun to watch your courtship from afar!
The Pollock family

Anonymous said...

I love the dress. The fabric is really pretty. I'm a big fan of Jane Austen too. Pride and Prejudice is my fav, but I also really like Persuasion and Sense and Sensibility.
Brenna

The Sisson Clan said...

Thanks, everyone, for your kind comments. It's fun to hear from you all!

Welcome Pollocks! It's fun to know that you found your way to the blog and are enjoying it.

I did get the pictures, Jessica, thanks for sending them! I should have taken my own camera so I could have put up an entry about out fun day, but your pictures are great!

Brenna, it's nice to know there's another Austen fan in the Oakland area. We'll have to plan an Austen night sometime. The fabric I used isn't period correct, but it's a good color for me, and since it was an old scrap we had on hand, it made for a nice and cheap outfit. ;-)

D,M,A,N,H&M, I love you guys! - GJ

The Sisson Clan said...

Dear Gretchen,

Have a blessed week in Oakland. The forecast says it's going to be a hot one! Maybe you'll get a chance to check out their new city pool, I've heard that it's really nice.

Please give our greetings and love to everyone down there.

Love---Mom

Anonymous said...

The dress is beautiful! We just watched "Emma" today. We watched the one with Gwenneth Paltrow. It is my favorite of the Austen films...very humorous.
~Gina