Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Chinese Cooking Class

Haley and I went to a cooking class at our friends the Dunns. Lisa the teacher (home school mom) made three dishes. She instructed us as she went along.


A couple of tips: 1. Cut everything, meat and veggies, the same size.
2. Have everything cut and ready before you begin.
3. Start with the oil (not olive) hot so that it sputters when you stick the food in.
4. If you have larger pieces of chicken and you want to keep them moist mix an egg white and cornstarch until foamy. Put your pieces of chicken in there and mix really well. Then add your meat to the hot oil.



Then we all got to sample them. YUM This was the Sweet & Sour Chicken. She also made a chicken vegetable dish served on lettuce and Chicken & Broccoli. We ordered a cookbook and once it comes Haley and I are ready to experiment on the family. "big smile"



Their cat was hilarious. He loved the chair and perched there for the entire class time. I loved how he laid there with his leg hanging down! He makes about 3 of our little cat!

Gina and Jessica thank you. Haley and I are inspired!! Hope I can find my wok.

7 comments:

Tete said...

Now who is making who hungry, and there's 2 hours to go before supper!
Thanks for the tips on the meat.

Anonymous said...

Do you have to have a wok? Can you teach (FEED) me? LOL Sue

The Sisson Clan said...

It helps since the wok has a curved bottom. That way you don't need as much oil if you are frying and you can push the food up the side when it's done cooking. That keeps it from over cooking!!

I have to tell you though the bottom of her wok had a small flat area. ???

The Sisson Clan said...

Tete,

AT least I didn't put up pictures of scrumptious things to eat. The Dunns are the best at that. I'm always drooling on my computer!

Faith said...

Oooohhh! You're making me hungry for Chinese! Can I come to dinner? Pretty please? :)

Unknown said...

Really? Not olive oil? I'm surprised. My family LOVES stir fry but I've always used olive oil. Maybe I'm doing it wrong? Does she use vegetable? Let me know if you you find a great stir fry recipe in your new cookbook. Mine's not great...but my kids don't know that! =)

Anonymous said...

We had a great time hosting the class! I did not know you even took pictures. You must have taken notes too, to remember all of those tips!

~G