Friday, April 18, 2008

Did You Feel the Earthquake??

I did!! I couldn't sleep and was downstairs at the computer when I felt the chair beneath me start to feel like it was swaying. Upstairs the floors were making the creaking sound that they do when someone is walking. The water in my glass was moving just the tiniest bit. I thought it must be an earthquake. Then I found this article on the Internet just a few minutes ago. WOW


WEST SALEM, Ill. - A 5.4 earthquake that appeared to rival the strongest recorded in the region rocked people awake up to 350 miles away early Friday, surprising residents unaccustomed to such a powerful Midwest temblor.

The quake just before 4:37 a.m. was centered 6 miles from West Salem, Ill., and 66 miles from Evansville, Ind. It was felt in such distant cities as Chicago, Cincinnati and Milwaukee, 350 miles north of the epicenter, but there were no early reports of injuries or significant damage.

"It shook our house where it woke me up," said David Behm of Philo, 10 miles south of Champaign. "Windows were rattling, and you could hear it. The house was shaking inches. For people in central Illinois, this is a big deal. It's not like California."

The quake shook skyscrapers in Chicago's Loop, 240 miles north of the epicenter, and in downtown Indianapolis, about 160 miles northeast of it. Residents of Cincinnati and St. Louis also reported feeling the earth shake.

Irvetta McMurtry of Cincinnati said she felt the rattling for up to 20 seconds.

"All of a sudden, I was awakened by this rumbling shaking," said McMurtry, 43. "My bed is an older wood frame bed, so the bed started to creak and shake, and it was almost like somebody was taking my mattress and moving it back and forth."

Lucas Griswold, a dispatcher in West Salem, said the Edwards County sheriff's department received reports of minor damage and no injuries.

"Oh, yeah, I felt it. It was interesting," Griswold said. "A lot of shaking."

Indiana State Police spokesman Sgt. Todd Ringle in Evansville said there were no immediate reports of damage.

The quake occurred in the Illinois basin-Ozark dome region that covers parts of Indiana, Kentucky, Illinois, Missouri, and Arkansas and stretches from Indianapolis and St. Louis to Memphis, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

The organization's Web site said earthquakes occur irregularly in the area, and that the largest historical earthquake in the region — also a magnitude 5.4 — caused damage in southern Illinois in 1968.

13 comments:

~Justin&Meg~ said...

Yes, we felt it! The alarm had just gone off. We immediately got up to check on things. Then we were wondering if we were crazy, since there weren't any reports on the Internet. The good thing is, we both got up and had devotions together. :) So I've officially been awake since 3:30 am, when William awoke to eat. Whoa! It's going to be an interesting day. Samuel's been up since 5:30, wanting to eat breakfast. Better run...we're going to read books.
Meg~

Namaw Kak said...

Jeri,
We met at Getchen's shower in Oakland. Yes I felt the earthquake. I bolted out of bed was running around the house asking my husband, who was still in bed, what was wrong. I thought he had over slept and was being noisey. Our whole house was shaking but I still didn't know it was an earthquake until our son called. He lives in Charlston.

Kathy Pardi - Oakland, IL

Anonymous said...

Jeri,

Thanks for being my news source. I looked on the internet and didn't see anything right off and was thinking maybe I was dreaming or something. Wow! A 5.4 I thought about how the Lord is going to shake the foundation someday. We need to be ready! Hope you get a nap today.
Love, Mary

Anonymous said...

Yep, my bookshelves were banging the wall

TD

Anonymous said...

I felt it too. The bed shaking and the rumbling noises awakened me. Such a strange feeling!
EJ

Test said...

I didn't realize I felt it until I just heard about it. I remember at some point early this morning I thought John was shaking the bed...turns out it must have been the earthquake..John slept right through it!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeri,
My husband, daughter and I had a meal with you at the ICHE Leadership Conference this year. :o)
I am blessed by your blog. Stop by and visit ours sometime. I awoke at 4:40 a.m this morning dreaming that my bed was shaking and saying to myself, "oh, we are having an earthquake". This is about my 5th in this area in my whole lifetime. Then I turned on our trusty radio station WGN in Chicago and they were already taking calls and confirming it. Amazing how fast we get the new nowadays! God's power is mighty---it was pretty exciting!
gail at
www.homeschoolblogger.com/
lovinthosebunnies4Him

Unknown said...

I've always thought it would be cool to experience an earthquake...a small one and in a safe environment. Ha!

Faith said...

Yes, I did. I woke up because my bed was shaking and the things on the dresser and desk were rattling.

I was still half asleep and wondered if a big truck was going by. Then I remembered the earthquake we had about 10 years ago, and this felt simliar. I almost woke Mel up, but I was didn't want to wake myself up completely.

I actually didn't remember it had happened until I heard about it on the radio this morning.

Faith

Amber D.M. said...

Yeah, wasn't that neat?! =)

After remeasuring, they said it was a 5.2.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

No, we didn't feel the earthquake, because we were up north! We heard about it on the news, though. I wonder if anyone in Kenosha felt it?

Jessica

RM1(SS) (ret) said...

Wasn't powerful enough for me to feel here in Connecticut. 8)

I remember there was one back when we were in high school (around '71 or '72); I missed that one, too, but my mum noticed it.

Anonymous said...

We live in western Ohio and we felt it at about 5:30 am. It was violently shaking our beds. We felt an after shock at about noon. It was fun, though!