Friday, November 9, 2007

It's time for THE dress

We girls went wedding dress shopping. How exciting to be at this point, but honestly we didn't know what to expect. After all, I made my dress . . . and that was more than 30 years ago!


Gretchen had researched modest wedding dresses online and found several different companies. From there we found stores that sold these lines. We trembled and wondered about prices.


Then we went to the website of the bridal salon we were planning to go to and they gave their average prices - we about fainted. Yikes!


Once we arrived, we were pleasantly surprised! It was WONDERFUL. There were way more modest dresses than we expected AND {for whatever reason, maybe because they aren't super popular} they cost about half of what the others cost and way less than we expected!


GJ here, to give the bride's perspective. We had SO much fun! We thought we would be in and out in a hour and a half. Four and a half hours later, we finally dragged ourselves away!


There are so many gorgeous, modest dresses available! It seems like once the designers started thinking outside the box, they really got creative with a whole variety of different looks, each one with its own style of elegance!


One tip we learned pretty early on: it doesn't matter what it looks like on the hanger, just go ahead and try it on! I can't tell you how many times I reluctantly tried on a dress, sure that none of us would like it, only to have us all gasp with delight once we looked in the mirror! Never say "no" until you've seen it on!


I'm so glad Haley agreed to go along! It was so much more fun, and she was such a wonderful little maid, helping me find my way in and out of those voluminous dresses.

Help! Where am I? There's light at the end of the tunnel!

Thanks, Mom and Haley, for your help, patience, and the fun you add to everything! Your presence made it a "girl time" that I will always treasure!


Just like the rest of life in a home school family, we love doing things together. The three of us laughed, talked, cried and carried on with much delight. The lady in the store mentioned that picking out the dress was often a time of disagreement for many customers and commented that we were such a happy team. I have been blessed!

I love you two! - GJ




P.S. In case you're wondering, I do have THE dress now, but it's not shown in any of the pictures. ;-)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What fun to get a peak into the process!

aliza

Anonymous said...

That was so fun to read!

Anonymous said...

I love the picture of Jeri in her dress!! Fun to see! Your shopping day also sounds like fun and it's nice to know the dress is ready....what else do you need? You have a groom and a dress! =)

Lisa

Anonymous said...

How fun! the dresses are very pretty. Can't wait to see the real one!

~Mandie

Anonymous said...

OOo how fun! Great idea to take photos of the process - I bet you are getting super excited!

Anonymous said...

Glad the three of you had so much fun!!! : ) Thanks for sharing some of the day with us!

Katie

Anonymous said...

It looks like you had a good time picking out your dress. Didn't we have such a good time picking out Aliza's fabric for her wedding dress?!! I have heard about several modest wedding dress shops/catalogues lately which is so encouraging, especially since I can't sew :) :) I had begun to think such a thing didn't exist. Hopefully they stay around for a while :)
By the way, I wouldn't have any objection to seeing a second post of engagement photos. :) :)