Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Zucchini Everything

It's that time of year when our garden produces basket loads of zucchini. We haven't had a garden for a couple of seasons so I am really enjoying this year's abundance.


I have already used at least 12 zucchinis

Of course one thing that we always look forward to is zucchini brownies. I have our standard recipe but decided to branch out this year since there are soooo many wonderful recipes on the web. We found this one at All Recipes and it's our all time five star favorite. The batter for this is not runny. It calls for no eggs and the moisture mostly comes from the grated Zs. You have to spread the batter in the pan.


The first time I made it I used Zs from Kyle's garden. He keeps up with his garden. His Zs were perfect, small, tender. The brownies were fudgy and delicious.
"drool"



The next time I made it, I used Zs from our garden. You know the kind that can be used as a defense weapon. Clubs. Gigantic. If you could figure out how to hang on to them you could use them as exercise weights. The brownies were a bit dry -- still good -- but not fudgy. I think it was because the Zs were older and drier.


WARNING: Do not make these if you don't like super strong chocolate flavor.


Zucchini Brownies

INGREDIENTS

  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 1/2 cups white sugar
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups shredded zucchini
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (substituted choc chips)

  • 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/4 cup margarine (butter)
  • 2 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 inch baking pan.
  2. In a large bowl, mix together the oil, sugar and 2 teaspoons vanilla until well blended. Combine the flour, 1/2 cup cocoa, baking soda and salt; stir into the sugar mixture. Fold in the zucchini and walnuts. Spread evenly into the prepared pan.
  3. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until brownies spring back when gently touched. To make the frosting, melt together the 6 tablespoons of cocoa and margarine; set aside to cool. In a medium bowl, blend together the confectioners' sugar, milk and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Stir in the cocoa mixture. Spread over cooled brownies before cutting into squares.


Spaghetti Pies

Had some left over angel hair pasta. (Thanks Elli) Added eggs, cheeses, spices and of course grated zucchini. I used grated dried Parmesan in this part instead of fresh--to absorb much of the moisture from the zucchini. Then topped each with a variety of goodies, sauce and more cheese.



















Yummy! I gave one away and froze one for a future lunch. (Surprising to me . . . my favorite was the simple one with portabella mushrooms!)

Well I haven't tried adding zucchini to a fruit smoothie yet. I think that I will just so I can have zucchini in every possible format, dessert, main dish, side dish, drink--- oh and , appetizer. Does anyone have a good zucchini drink recipe??


Soon it will be time for the pumpkins. Hum. . . .

3 comments:

busymama431 said...

Ok, you had me laughing outloud...I can identify w/ your zuchinni bats. Mine are about the size of a kiddie baseball bat! I was hoping that purreeing them and baking w/ them would disguise their woodiness. Hmm...Too funny! It seems like I go out one day, and they're babies...then I may skip a day and I have the big giant clubs....Hmm...Kyle sure does have the green thumb!

Ok, well, those Zuch Brownies sound delic. I'm definitely going to try them! I've not tried zuchinni in a smoothie. I was going to try some other recipies I found on allrecipes.com...we'll see how they turn out. If they're good, I'll post them.

meg,
thanks for the laugh!

The Sisson Clan said...

Isn't that the truth! Haley brought in 3 more zucchinis right after I took these pictures. We just picked a day ago!

Gretchen made the brownies tonight. She loved them. At first the batter was dry and crumbly. She didn't pack in her grated Zucchini when she was measuring. So she added a bit more and the batter became moist and sticky. Just right.

She said they were very fudgy! Yum

Meg, we look forward to hearing about whatever zucchini recipes you try and like. "smile"

Anonymous said...

I like the spaghetti recipes! We planted a garden for the first time since Tommy was little. Alas, no one wanted to weed. Tom's tomatoes have done well. The pumpkins, cukes and carrots, not so much. I'm convinced that critters ate the seedlings. Thanks for your posts I enjoy them all. Love, Sue