Saturday, November 22, 2008

Young Adult Conference

We had a great time!! Last weekend was ICHE's Young Adult conference. There were so many fun things that went on, so many new faces and so many friends that had come for years.


Jeff Lewis, Timothy Botts & Ken

We began the day with singing and the beauty of God's word. Timothy Botts the well known calligrapher came and did our theme verse as he led us in devotions and testimony. It was so encouraging and amazing. He is truly gifted by the Lord. Timothy shared from all the twists and turns in his life, (starting even at 6 yrs old) how the Lord had orchestrated each and led him along God's path for his life.

This is a bit dark but if you select it you can see his amazing artistry. He explained how his art is intended to display what he thinks the scripture means. He chooses his colors and fonts to express those meanings. Notice the compass as the underlying image in yellow.

This was our theme verse:
You will show me the way of life,
granting me the joy of your presence
and the pleasures of living with you forever.

Psalm 16:11 (New Living Translation)


We had more sessions throughout the day featuring Tim Boyer. Unfortunately the pictures I took turned out very grainy so I don't have any to put up.

After a goofy introduction session, we had lunch. Everyone brought their own.
By now we were starting to get to know each other.


Scavenger Hunt
We needed to move around a bit so after another session, we had an "in church" scavenger hunt. There were 60 things on the list that your team could try to find, or accomplish. We only had a short time so the competition was to get as many as you could.



Afterwards we girls separated off and had a class in flower arranging demonstrated by Becca and Martha Johnson. I Loved it.

They put together 4 arrangements. Watching them work was like watching a different kind of artist. We learned so many things to help us on our own. They also gave us a handout of helpful tips and ideas.

Becca used these beautiful and unusual flowering cabbages!
April was one of the winners of the arrangements. She won and got first pick!

Becca's second arrangement.


Martha's second arrangement. Yes it's done in a pumpkin!
Gretchen won this one and gave it to me!! I am enjoying it so much.


After the split session we had a delicious catered lasagna dinner, games and fellowship.

Some folks chose to play volleyball . . . . .
others watched.


Melissa brought the quilt top that she and her girls made while the men were away at the Father/Son camp. I had wanted to see it. Isn't it beautiful? I love the colors they choose. What do you think Emily? She's a pro now. I hope to see more quilts come from her creative hands.

Even us old folks made new friends and were encouraged to stay in the race. I left the conference thinking how beautiful and varied the Body of Christ is.

8 comments:

Nate said...

It looks like you had a lot of fun. I am so bummed that I was not able to make it. I really like the way that Timothy Botts did the verse this time. I think that this is my favorite one that he has done for us so far.

Gretchen said...

I got home and realized that I had taken a total of three pictures - bummer! It was SUCH a great time, pictures really can't do it justice anyway! So fun to be and learn together. - GJ

Anonymous said...

Very fun! Maybe next year you'll have to let us know early so we get it on the calendar. -EJ

Anonymous said...

We are sad that we had to miss this year. Looks like you all had a great time! Great photos Jeri!
Blessings to you all! SP

The Hemmers said...

It was a really fun day, to be sure! :)

Anonymous said...

I missed you Nate, mucho mucho! :(

O and thanks so much for mailing the phone chargers. That was really nice of you guys! :)

The Capp Crew said...

I had such a nice time! It is great to be able to spend time with old friends, and be able to make new friends. :)

~Mandie

Danielle said...

It was such a fun day! :) I'm so glad it worked out for me to go, I loved seeing everyone and being there! Oooh....and I can't forget, I LOVED winning Mr. Botts artwork! ;) Still in shock over that I think! :D