Monday, March 5, 2007

Sewing Projects and Island Trips


I received two JoAnne fabric gift cards for Christmas (very tasteful gifts, I must say) and one of the resulting projects has been bumped up to active status because . . . Dad and I are going to Curacao! Curacao is a small island north of Venezuela, and a part of the Dutch West Indies. It has a rather dark history. It was discovered by the Spanish in 1500, and since it wasn’t good for farming and didn’t have any gold, they decided it was a worthless island! The Dutch thought otherwise, and conquered the island in 1634. “Conquered” might be a generous word, since there were only 30 some Spaniards on the island at the time, ten of whom were children. At any rate, because of its well protected deep water harbor, it became a center for smugglers and slave traders. It’s a kind of funny place to be going, having just finished a biography of William Wilberforce (my most recent hero). After the slave trade was abolished, the economy changed and the island is now a center for distilling crude oil and entertaining tourists.

On business trips like this one, Dad is always given two tickets, and Mom, who hates hot weather, kindly offered to let me go in her place. After much serious deliberation (about 2 seconds), I consented go. So, I’ll get the chance to wear summer type clothing sooner than I expected! Here is my “Curacao Skirt” project in the works; hopefully soon I’ll be able to post a picture of the finished garment in a Caribbean setting. - GJ

No comments: