Thursday, May 1, 2008

Motherhood

Mother's day is coming. I love this quote by G.K. Chesterton.

"When people begin to talk about this domestic duty as not merely difficult, but trivial and dreary, I simply give up the question. For I cannot with the utmost energy of imagination conceive what they mean. When domesticity, for instance, is called drudgery, all the difficulty arises from a double meaning in the world. If drudgery only means dreadfully hard work, I admit the woman drudges in the home, as a man might drudge at the Cathedral of Amiens or drudge behind a gun at Trafalgar. But if it means that the hard work is more heavy because it is trifling, colorless, and of small import to the soul , then as I say, I give up. . .How can it be a large career to tell other people’s children about the Rule of Three and a small career to tell one’s own children about the universe? How can it be broad to be the same thing to everyone and narrow to be everything to someone. No, a woman’s function is laborious, but because it is gigantic, not because it is minute. I will pity Mrs. Jones for the hugeness of her task; I will never pity her for its smallness."


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have read that before. I love it! I think I will copy it into my journal!

~Gina

Unknown said...

It's a good reminder that there's no greater profession than motherhood. And no better clients than our own children! =)

Gretchen said...

I still love that quote!

Anonymous said...

Hi Geri! Thanks so much for your kind comment. Have a wonderful Mother's Day weekend!
Blessings~
Sherry