Thursday, February 3, 2011

More than you want to know! "wink"

In fact we did have a good time being snowed in.  I felt like Little House on the Prairie!  big smile  Unlike The Long Winter we had wood for our stove and didn't have to sit around braiding straw.  (Thank you Lord)  And----like Farmer Boy we had lots of good things to eat! 

I woke up and decided to do an experiment and cook on the wood stove!  Have you ever done that before? So I made one of my favorite things - - - soup.  First I had to brown the meat that took forever and it only thawed and didn't brown. 

I finally just added all the other ingredients.  It cooked up beautifully for supper.

I had a new ingredient that I had never used before - - Okra!  There was some fresh at the store, I couldn't resist.  I know nothing about Okra.

This morning here is what I found out:
The name "okra", most often used in the US and the Philippines, is of West African origin and is cognate with "ọ́kụ̀rụ̀" in Igbo, a language spoken in Nigeria.  Okra is often known as "Lady's Fingers" outside of the US.   In various Bantu languages, okra is called "kingombo" or a variant thereof, and this is the origin of its name in Portuguese,  ("quiabo"),Spanish, Dutch and French, and also of the name "gumbo", used in parts of the United States and English-speaking Caribbean for either the vegetable, or a stew based on it. 
 

The products of the plant are mucilaginous, (What a wonderful word.  Can we use it when the kids have colds?)  resulting in the characteristic "goo" or slime when the seed pods are cooked; the mucilage contains a usable form of soluble fiber. While many people enjoy okra cooked this way, others prefer to minimize sliminess; keeping the pods intact and cooking quickly help to achieve this. To avoid sliminess, okra pods are often briefly stir-fried, or cooked with acidic ingredients such as citrus, tomatoes, or vinegar. A few drops of lemon juice will usually suffice. Alternatively the pods can be sliced thinly and cooked for a long time, so that the mucilage dissolves, as in gumbo. 

So I guess that my stew was a gumbo?  (I'll have to research that one a bit more.)  The okra was not at all slimy.   The soup was delicious.  The okra gave it a slightly different flavor that we all liked.  I guess that I'll be trying okra some more.

We also cooked baked apples!  Oh those were good.  I wonder what I should try cooking today????

Tete you inspired this post.  Thank you!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

We love okra here in Oklahoma. My family has always grown it in the garden. I'm not sure it gets hot enough for it to grow well in Illinois? Of course, it's best fried (what isn't??) but good several ways!

heritagemom said...

I made okra once; breaded and fried and it was dee-lish! I found a recipe where you bake them whole in your oven, and I'll try that someday. I would be clueless with a wood stove--thank God for electricity!

Love,
Christine

Tete said...

I'm glad I'm good for something! LOL
The best way to eat okra is to slice it across making little wheels, roll it in corn meal and fry it!
When I was in Oklahoma, every resturant served it that way! YUM!
When we made veggie soup on the wood stove, you cube your arm roast and throw it in first, do not brown it and you have the beef broth, then we peel the potatoes and cut up the carrots and throw those in as soon as we get them ready. Add all other fresh veggies you use and let that cook awhile, then at the end you add anything that is canned.
The longer it cooks, the better it gets.
We used to make a huge pot of it and leave it on the stove all day. We had this huge aluminum pan with a round bottom (it was old) but when it began to boil the pan would rock back and forth. It never stuck and no need to stir it all the time! LOL
You can do chili and soup beans. Soak the beans the night before and leave them soaking all night.
You can also make oatmeal and toast!
Gretchen post yesterday so they had power then but Kyle isn't answering his phone this morning. He might have lost it in a snow bank, too. Who knows with him...
Glad you are having fun being snowed it!
Tete

The Sisson Clan said...

Tete,
That is exactly how we did it! There is just nothing like steaming hot soup.

Your old pot sounds wonderful. Just picturing it makes me smile.

I think that I will make a cabbage, potato and sausage soup today. It is one of Nate's favorites and we haven't had it for a while!

Tete said...

That sounds good. I have never had that. If you are ever out thrifting or garage saling and find one of those old rounded bottom pots, grab it! It will be so much fun watching it rock!
Are you all dug out yet? The photos from Chicago are horrible! I know you must have gotten what they got.
I am so ready for tulips and mowing grass again!
Tete

NomadTravels said...

Well down here we had some fresh fire cooked lamb stew in the potjie, so I know what it's like. Also off the top of your head can you name some Bantu languages, you should be able to. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Did you know you can eat okra raw? I didn't either until we moved to Georgia. But maybe you have to be a real southerner to enjoy that taste. I'm not that brave. ;o) Let me know if you do. LOL

Donetta T.