Wednesday, October 8, 2008

History Days -- 2

Last week we gathered for our second WW II study. I just can't tell you how much fun we are having. Remember the passports we made last time? You had to have one to get in.


(Who said boys can't have as much fun dressing up as girls?)


First we made timelines. When they are opened up they are 4 ft. long. The timelines are accordion books, really simple to make and they don't take up a lot of room. We added a few "beginning of the war" dates with pictures and will continue adding information as we study at home.

This time the kids each gave reports. Abbey talked about hobos in the US prior to our entering the war. This was fascinating. Did you know that hobos were not tramps, they were willing to work. They had a secret code that they used to mark your home to indicate whether you were friendly, had work, a vicious dog or had a place to sleep etc?


Anna helped. They served us Mulligan stew for lunch. It's kind of like stone soup. The hobos would put in whatever each of them had----- to come up with a meal.

Robby gave us a history of the war's beginning and told about the planes. Kids made hundreds of thousands of model planes so that those folks who were spotters could practice identifying them.


So the kids put together model planes.

Matthew's was a Spitfire!

Matthew's report was on spys and their equipment.

He had, for each of the kids, a secret message that could have been hidden in a regular deck of cards.
They had to assemble that message.

I believe it said something like: "Time to consume our daily ration of sugar". (snack time)


We had a wonderful time. I learned a lot and look forward to our next event. {October's gathering is going to be a doosey!}


PS I'm still trying to catch up with posts from our trip.

6 comments:

Gretchen said...

Wow, wish I had been there! It looks like the kids did a great job. I like the military gear too. I'm looking forward to pictures of next time, and to seeing those timeslines fill up! - GJ

Anonymous said...

What fun! Ditto what Gretchen said. I wish I could have been there too!

Faith

Anonymous said...

I was homeschooled for some of my primary years myself, and your WWII learning club is a lot like the parts of homeschooling we enjoyed. I really appreciate how you show that homeschooling can be both fun and informative. I find that in contrast to your winsome spirit, a lot of other websites primarily try to shove homeschooling down people's throats as the only godly form of education. My mom really struggled with the way some other homeschoolers in our community made her feel guilty for not doing it their way and for not doing it K-12. As I read some other homeschooling blogs now, I am really floored to finally understand the kind of judgementalism even she, a conservative Christian, had to endure. I'm an avid lurker on your blog, I just wanted to thank you for your family's consistent witness of love for others, which I feel does more for the cause of Christ than any of the high-profile homeschooling blogs I read.

I am currently completing a Ph.D. in English, and I usually vote a split ticket. While we don't agree on everything, I come to your blog to remind myself that the caricatures of conservative Christians aren't always fair. What is more, I come to your blog to be reminded of the beauty of love for family, community, and Christ. Thank you.

Katie

Littlecarlotta said...

World War II is one of my favorite parts of history! There are so many aspects to learn about.

Anonymous said...

What a great way to learn!
~Blessings
Sherry

Anonymous said...

Looks like you've been having fun studying about the WW2 period! Melody and Jason made a short silent film about life on the home front during the war -- rationing, victory gardens, bomb shelters, etc. It's hilarious! It is saved on Jason's laptop computer. Remind us to bring it next time we see you. BH