Thursday, October 25, 2007

Quilting

Fabric, thread, machines, rulers, QUILTING! I love anything to do with sewing. Well . . . . . maybe not mending.

We recently had a few friends over to introduce them to the joys of quilting. Here the Lewis girls are cutting out strips of fabric to piece together for their lap quilt top. We all made Log Cabin Quilts.
My little pile of fabric is in the background there.
One of their sweet girls had so much fun playing with Haley's old playmo princess castle!

Here their top is finished, basted to the bottom and they are on the ping pong table adding the batting. Notice a square of bright fabric (Haley's ) and one square of theirs. I ask each quilt maker to make an extra square to give to me.

I almost have enough to make my own signature quilt from these "extras".


They've turned the quilt and it's ready to be quilted!

The squares can be arranged in a number of different patterns to give the feel that you like. Their pattern is called "Timberline". Note the diagonal stripe of green running from corner to corner. Isn't it beautiful!


Emily and her three sons came a little later than the Lewis family. Here she's cutting her strips.

This is how the boys played with the princess castle.

Here's Emily's fabulous quilt. She definitely has the quilting gene!


My quilt doesn't have a pattern. I sewed it together in a random fashion.

I made one for the sheer enjoyment of it all.


There was enough time for a few rounds of Dutch Blitz!


Haley's making a BRIGHT lap quilt.

Haley's is pieced together in the Fields and Furrow's pattern.

Instead of a solid back consisting of one fabric, she chose to randomly piece the back. It goes well with the front and is more interesting to look at.

It was so bright and cheery. Kind of like her!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

How beautiful! You all did such a great job.

Anonymous said...

Did you guys do that all in one day? They are very beautiful!

Jessica

Anonymous said...

What fun quilts! I agree about the mending. As Rebecca says "asking a sewer to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your bathroom" Somehow my mom wasn't convinced that my skills were equal to Picasso ;)

Aliza

The Sisson Clan said...

The Lewis family got their quilt ready to do the final quilting in less than 24 hours.

Emily got her top to the point of adding the final border and had to get more material. She decided after seeing it that she wanted a different color. She got that far in less than a day. She finished hers on day two at home.

Haley got her quilt totally sewn in less than 2 days.

Well I need more fabric to finish mine! I did however put the boarder on another quilt and thus finished at least one project! What fun was had!!!

Anonymous said...

They are all beautiful! I'm moaning because I haven't finished mine from when Aubrie and I were there. I just need a few extra days in the week.
Lisa

Anonymous said...

How fun! The quilts look wonderful!

Capp Family

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Looks like a fun
project for friends. :)

Anonymous said...

Those are gorgeous! One day I hope to learn to quilt!

~Gina

TulipGirl said...

Beautiful!

But. . . not my idea of fun. The cutting out of straight lines, pinning, sewing straight seams. All that totally makes me anxious.

I guess that's why I like silk ribbon embroidery for handwork. It doesn't need to be exact. . .

BH said...

I love the soldiers on the castle!

Anonymous said...

Pretty quilts. I'm waiting to see pictures of Haley's new harp! Isn't somebody going to post a picture or two? I know you're busy getting your guys ready for this weekend, but the harp and harpist definitely deserve a blog posting!

Faith